“…like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation on the rock; and when a flood occurred, the torrent burst against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built.” Luke 6:48
Welcome to Foundations for Newlyweds, we're so glad you're here!
Foundations for Newlyweds is a two year program designed to equip engaged and newlywed couples to build strong foundations for resilient marriages.
Through your Foundations journey you will explore Biblical principles of marriage to help you better understand one another and your Biblical roles as husbands and wives. As you learn and grow together with other newlyweds you will have the exciting opportunity to become part of a lifelong loving Christ-centered community.
There are three regularly occurring opportunities to grow and connect through Foundations for Newlyweds.
- Foundations Class: weekly 9:45 AM Sunday class open to all engaged and newlywed couples
- Foundations Group: for members of the Foundations Class committed to a deeper study of Biblical marriage and developing a community of encouragement and accountability
- Foundations Fellowships: regularly scheduled gatherings open to Foundations Class and Foundations Group members
Foundations Class Overview:
Meets Sunday Mornings at 9:45 AM, facilitated by Scott and Karen Harmening
Scott and Karen will humbly and transparently facilitate class conversations drawing from thirty years of experiences together, while readily acknowledging that they, too, are still learning and growing in faith and marriage.
- Great expectations: Unrealistic vs. Biblical Expectations
Identifying Our Expectations, The Purpose of Marriage, History of Marriage, Marriage and The Gospel, Teamwork, Responsibilities and Grace in Marriage, Women in Marriage, Men in Marriage, Defining Success in Marriage
- Getting to Know You: Getting to Know All About You
Temperaments, Spirit Controlled Temperament, Fruit of the Spirit, Five Love Languages, Spiritual Giftedness
- Adaptations: Learning to Live Together as One
Attraction to Love, Crucifying Selfishness, Developing Oneness, Six Key Commitments, Leaving and Cleaving, Healthy Boundaries, Love and Sex, Dealing with Differences, The Necessity of Grace, Children and Parenting
- Money: What to Do With It
Money and Possessions, Contentment, Stewardship, Recognizing Differences, Setting Goals, Budgeting, Giving
- Daily Life: For Better or Worse
Assurance of Salvation, Daily Following Christ, Time in God’s Word, Prayer, Planting Seeds and Harvesting Fruit, Knowing God’s Will, Obedience
- Communication & Conflict: Barriers and Keys
The Tongue, Barriers to Communication, Prioritizing Your Relationship, Communication 101, Closing the Loop in Conflict, Communicating through Trials, Spiritual Intimacy, Anger, Developing Transparency, Learning to Listen, Confrontation, Biblical Forgiveness, Overlooking Offenses
- Who I Am: Identity and Security
Self image & Building One Another Up, Unconditional Acceptance, Avoiding Comparison, Rightly Viewing the Past, Failure and Trying Again, Identity in Christ
- Warfare: It’s Coming
Be Alert, Armor of God, Our Inability, Other Eyes, Confession, Taking the Lower Seat, Pulling Weeds, Guarding Against Coasting, Trust and Trustworthiness, Guarding Against Unforgiveness, Guarding Against Adultery
- Trials and Tribulations: Staying Storm Ready
Inevitability of Suffering, Prosperity Theology Falsehood, Developing a Strong Foundation, God’s Role in Suffering, Sanctifying Flames, Hope & Eternal Perspective, Walking Well With Suffering People
- On Mission: Humbly Following
Praying Without Ceasing, Rooted and Serving Christ Together, Exercising Hospitality, Missional Daily Living, Spiritual Giftedness, Different Roles- Complementarianism, Investing in Others & Making Disciples, Keeping Life Manageable, Changing Seasons, Leaving a Legacy
Foundations Group Overview:
Foundations Group creates time for deeper conversations and relationship building as we read and discuss the following eight books together over the course of two years.
- Marriage by Paul David Tripp
- Managing God’s Money: A Biblical Guide by Randy Alcorn
- Love Like You Mean It: The Heart of a Marriage that Honors God by Bob Lepine
- For Guys- The Men We Need: God’s Purpose for the Manly Man, the Avid Indoorsman, or Any Man Willing to Show Up by Brant Hansen. and Faithful Leaders by Rico Tice; For Girls- Fierce Women by Kimberly Wagner
- Embracing Complementarianism: Turning Biblical Convictions into Positive Church Culture by Graham Beynon & Jane Tooher
- Sex Is… by Kevin Moore
- War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles by Paul David Tripp
- TBD - Group Pick
How To Join:
Engaged and newlywed couples are welcome to join anytime. Foundations for Newlyweds repeats the same cycle every two years, so new couples are able to join at any time and graduate out as they complete their two years.
We hope to meet you very soon!
For more information: